Toquaht Nation is committed to promoting the social, spiritual, and economic success of our masčim (citizens). Our Community Services department strives to ensure the well-being and personal development of all citizens across their lifespan, and we have programs to support this goal.
We offer the following health services to all Toquaht citizens:
- Advocating for access to appropriate health service providers and providing referrals.
- Providing health education, advice, and counseling to individuals and groups.
- Offering a top-up to the patient medical transportation program to cover out-of-pocket expenses.
- Providing a Toquaht non-insured health benefit program to cover extra medical costs not covered by FNHA or other service providers.
Our staff adheres to the Toquaht Nation Government Code of Conduct and Oath of Confidentiality to ensure your privacy is protected when dealing with any matter related to your health and wellbeing.
Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB)
We recognize that some citizens require additional support to maintain their health and well-being, as well as alternative health-care options that may provide significant health benefits but are not covered by other health benefit plans.
To address this, the Non-Insured Health Benefits Policy and application was created. It supports Toquaht citizens who lack insured health benefits, as well as those seeking to supplement existing funding from other organizations (such as FNHA, disability, social assistance) as needed.
To apply for this support, complete the Non-Insured Health Benefit Application Form and submit it to Noreen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Noreen can also be contacted for assistance with the application process.
Health Services in Macoah
We are committed to expanding and improving the services available to Toquaht citizens in Macoah. Currently, citizens can access the following services:
- NTC community nursing and mental health services.
- Monthly visits from Dr. Marshall.
- Regular home and safety assessments for Elders and people with disabilities.
- Foot care for residents with diabetes and/or mobility issues.
- Physiotherapy and occupational therapy through various Island Health service providers, with a referral from a medical doctor.
We are also working with uu-stuk-yuu to match mentors and mentees for those interested in traditional medicine and to bring traditional healers into the community.
In addition, citizens can request physiotherapy and occupational therapy through Island Health service providers who come to the community with a referral from their medical doctor.
We are continuously collaborating with service providers to bring additional support to the community, such as Quu’asa Comfort, Culture and Wellness sessions, grief and loss counselors, and Indian residential and day school support workers.
Virtual Doctor of the Day
To access medical services without a referral, Toquaht citizens can connect with a family doctor through the Virtual Doctor of the Day service. This service is available every day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. via phone or Zoom. To get connected, simply call 1-855-344-3800.
Recreation Activities at t̓uk̓ʷaaʔatḥiic hišimyiły̓ak (Toquaht Gathering Place)
Join us for a variety of regular group activities at t̓uk̓ʷaaʔatḥiic hišimyiły̓ak in Macoah. Activities may include cooking, art, cultural activities, wellness, and fitness classes. If you have any ideas or questions about the recreational activities you would like to attend, please contact Pamela at email@example.com.
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out these related pages: